nicke
Newly Registered

Purple leaf sand cherry, shed all leaves July

I purchased a 5-6' purple leaf sand cherry tree from a nursery this spring (just before Memorial Day) that was container grown (Minnesota). There was limited leafage at the time of planting, but looked healthy and did turn from dark purple to golden green-ish during the summer months. There was two small, dead branches that I did trim. Tree is/was watered throughly, but not overly, soil drains well and tree gets a good soaking when the soil dries (maybe 2x/week).

All of the sudden in early July, the tree shed all leaves leaving a sad looking specimen. There are suckers/green growth from base. Should I be worried? Or expect to see buds/leaves yet this season, or wait until next spring and then worry about returning under warranty?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You didn't say if it flowered. There are pros and cons about the sand cherry, purple leaves offer a contrast but they don't seem to be the healthiest. Some say they lose their leaves in the summer then grow them back. I'd wait to see what happens next spring.

nicke
Newly Registered

It did not flower since it has been planted. I don't recall if our crab apples were flowering before I planted this tree but I believe this is the case. I've heard to wait as well, just a little disconcerning. Thank you.

janette
Newly Registered

I live in northern Iowa and purchased my sandcherry in Minnesota. It was about 3-4ft tall and exactly the same thing happened to me. Now it looks like a twig sticking out of the ground.

It didn't flower either.
:cry:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Janette & Nicke, welcome to both of you. Glad you found our forum! I haven't grown the sand cherry, but it is not uncommon for baby trees to lose their leaves early. I would continue to take care of them (even dormant they still need very occasional watering if you aren't getting enough rain and it is helpful for trees especially baby ones to get one last good soaking before everything freezes up for winter) and see what happens in the spring.

janette
Newly Registered

Thank you for that, I did kind of neglect it after I thought it had died, but I will give it a good soaking and hope for the best next spring.

Thank you again for the advice.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”