momo
Cool Member

What will grow well with competing tree roots?

There are roses planted in a line in this part of my yard, but they are very unhappy because they are under a tree and competing with the roots and getting too much shade.
[img]https://i454.photobucket.com/albums/qq268/momo2820/gardenpic.jpg[/img]

I am planning on translplanting the roses in the fall and putting something else there. I would like something that would make a nice small hedge and act as a divider between the front and back part of the yard. I want to put some rocks around the area and fill it with more soil, and I was hoping to plant Hydrangeas there. But the most important thing is to find something that will thrive. :)

Do you think Hydrangeas will like it there, or should I plant something else?

Thanks!

applestar
Mod

Looks shady AND dry. I would look up native understory shrubs for your area. I rather think Hydrangea would need more water. Is that oak? Try a web search like "plant communities oak native to california"

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Instead of a hedge you might want to look at groundcovers and make certain when you plant that you amend the soil with compost or manure.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

If your tree roots are like mine, and in dry sandy soil, virtually nothing will do well in dry, poor, shady soil. I finally gave up with the idea of shrubs or perennials. Now I till the area each spring and plant easy to grow annuals in the ground. The tilling breaks up the tree roots and keeps them at bay for the season. Shade loving plants like impatiens, coleus, and sweet potato vine grow wonderfully for the season, when watered well. I enhance the area by placing perennials in various sized planters in the shady area. Those plants include toad lily, perennial begonias, elephant ear, hostas, and a few other shade loving plants. They do well in the rich soil of the planters where they don't have to compete with the tree roots.

Here is a photo of the area.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3002/2631253836_d1f5e8ba79.jpg[/img]

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”