Natural Mangaka
Newly Registered
Location: Bermuda Hundred, Chesterfield, Virginia, Norht America

My butterfly bush is in trouble!

Before telling everyone about the problem my butterfly bush is facing , I should you guys what led to this problem, because it might have something to do with the condition the plant is in now.

I was given a butterfly bush late last month (two weeks ago) from my sister’s best friend's mother, that I had to plant and watered right away so when I got home I immediately started to plant it in the backyard, which was difficult because the dirt was a lot harder to dig then I thought it would be and I didn't have a lot of energy on that day after moving around a lot in the heat. (I have clay soil apparently and I had to put water on it to loosen it up, which seem to not work as well as I thought it would) When I felt the hole was big enough I try putting the butterfly bush in the hole, but there wasn't enough room for some of the roots to go in. Not sure of what to do and the fact that I couldn’t make the hole any bigger, I had no other choice but to cut the roots back a little, which made me concern because I was going to hurt the plant doing that. After getting the roots cut back with the help of my parents and finally getting the plant in the hole, I covered it with gardening soil and had my parents help me keep the bush standing straight by holding it straight with a rope and a wooden piece.

After a little while the butterfly bush flowers were beginning to lose their colour. The person who gave me the plant called me to see how it was doing and during my short conversation I told her about the flowers that were turning brown and she said I should cute the brown ones back and more will come. I did just that, but nothing happen and the plant began to look even more unwell.

Later on I had to make the hole deeper, so the plant can have more space and I had my dad to help me with digging this time. The digging was still tough because of the kind of dirt we have, but we got the hole to go a bit deeper. We soaked the dirt in water and covered the plant in more dirt (both the gardening soil, the dirt we dig up and the fertilize dirt from the flower bed in the front yard.) Once that was done I watered the plant until I was sure it had enough water. The butterfly bush still didn't get any better, but I knew it would take time.

My sister suggested that the plant needed Miracle Grow. I didn't think so at first because at the moment it didn't need any water and I were concern about something else that I can't remember. Eventually I agree and my dad got some miracle grow and mixed it in with water. That plant was given miracle grow and nothing happen, but I knew it will take time. I gave the butterfly bush more Miracle Grow when the dirt under it dried, but no9thing still happen.

My sister mention that someone told her that the leaves needed to be cut back for new ones to grow. I didn't think so at first because without all the leaves it can't feed, but all of them weren’t doing so well so I decided to cut them back. As I was doing that I notice that the stems look a bit lavenderish. I notice it before, but didn't pay any attention to it (and I even thought it was a bit attractive) until now. It looked like it was covered in some kind of fungi, which what leads to the problem both me and the butterfly bush has now.

Sorry if it was long, but like I said I thought it would be necessary. I think the plant is in infected with a fungi disease. Is there a way I can make the plant better?

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

First of all you probably should get a better shovel. Because the soil in NC is also clay I use what the sprinkler people call a "sharp shooter." HD carries them. It has a smaller face and elongated then a regular shovel and yes wetting clay makes it easier to dig.

It depends where you planted it if it is in full sun you should wet the plant each evening because the leaves will transpire with the sun beating down on it. Since you cut the roots and cut back some of the branches you are on the right path. You would have been better off to be given the plant in the early spring or late fall but give it time it should recover, but remember you can drown plants as well. Just spray some moisture on the leaves at night.

Natural Mangaka
Newly Registered
Location: Bermuda Hundred, Chesterfield, Virginia, Norht America

Heh! Heh! Heh! Heh! Heh! So, that is what's wrong with it. That's why the leaves look dried and nearly about to/falling off. Heh! Heh! Heh!...Heh!

WHY COULDN'T I WAIT LONGER TO PLANT IT? I SHOULD HAVE WAITED TILL THE NEXT PLANTING SEASON? >_<

Anyway, thanks for telling me both about this and the tool I need to use. So, my plant just needs to be sprinkle with water every evening. Okay! I sprinkle it early tomorrow morning and if not during the evening. At least I'm relieved it's doing fine. ^_^

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”