Rocky Top Rob
Newly Registered

Best Boxwood for me?

I would like to plant some evergreen Boxwood shrubs against the north side of my house. This will get some sun in the afternoon from the West. I would like something that grows no bigger than 3-4 feet tall. It will not get alot of rain due to the roof overhang. What is best for my situation?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

What's the wind conditions? If you are on one of those rocky tops windburn is a concern...

So the size. If you want a dwarf species, it'll cost you, but boxwood is probably the best hedge plant ever. It'll take a pruning...

That Zone 7 rating is perfect for the plant, so the world's your oyster; you just need to pick cheap or easy...

HG

Rocky Top Rob
Newly Registered

Wind should not be a concern at all. I guess I'll just check around for cheap.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Then plain old Buxus sempervirens is the one for you. Least expensive, quickest to get to size and easily kept sheared. Should work a charm...

It's cultivar 'Suffruticosa' is way slower (hence more expensive) and softer as to climate (not a problem for you) and dwarf (wouldn't need the pruning, but I don't see that as a big issue as we are really talking about two or three times a year...)

HG

vanhouttewim
Newly Registered

Hi , as I have a collection of over 220 different types of boxwood , you have a lot of choice ,
but if I was you I would take a sarcococca hedge.
if you want boxwood , you could take 'suffruticosa' , 'justin brouwers', 'blauer heinz' , these aren't dwarf forms , but they don't grow higher than 3 feet , you don't have to prune them , they grow excellent in shade , they like dry conditions , when grown in wet conditions , they are more susceptible for diseases.
most of the dwarf froms like the shade , they allways burn in full sun.
for pictures , mailto vanhouttewim@skynet.be

some dwarf forms can grow to 2 feet, after many years , they're wonderful.
examples are morris dwarf , morris midget , compacta , green pillow , little ball , ...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hi Vim! Any relation to the Vanhoutte of Spirea fame...?

I am fond of the Sheridan Nurseries Green Series, but the only box I have in the yard now is 'Tide Hill'. The Sarcococca is an interesting thought; I can't do it here but Rob sure could. I've grown the Morris' as bonsai years ago and I like them for that as well, And the dwarf ones are easier to collect too, right?

Scott

vanhouttewim
Newly Registered

Hello ,

The sherridan hybrids are very interesting , I have most of them in my collection , but I don't have any contact with sheridan or so.
there are many other varieties in the US that I'm looking for. most of these are located in the US national arboretum and west virginia.
I 'm collecting all the different boxwoods , I have place enough for even all the large plants. would be fine to know more people with the same interest at the other end of the world. I'm holding a large collection of rare trees , shrubs and woodland plants , my total list is about 2000 plants

Wim

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

What's your favorite Sherridan? I am fond of 'Green Mountain' for the pyramidal shape and fast growth. From all the dwarves I figure you to be a 'Green Gem' guy...

vanhouttewim
Newly Registered

Good morning :)
Green Mountain is one of my favourites , it's one of the most uncommon here in europe.
could you tell me something more about the shiridan hybrids , their history , how many are there?
my other favourites are the blue boxwoods , which are not in cultivation in the US and the the boxwood species , as well as wild collected varieties.

Wim

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

A Canadian breeding program for very hardy box, it is based on lots of crossing with the Korean boxwood...

[url]https://members.tripod.com/~hatch_l/buxus.html[/url]

Scott

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”