glwhiting
Newly Registered

Question about maple tree/ Hello from Michigan

I am one of those gardener want-to-be's but don't have the time to spend. I have tomatoes planted this year, bought a couple young trees and I joined to ask a couple questions. :) Two or three weeks ago, I bought an Autumn Blaze maple about 5 1/2 ft tall and the leaves are already turning red. What am I doing wrong or what should I be doing that I'm not? Or am I panicking way too early? Please advise, thank you.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Hi GLW and welcome to the forum! I moved your introduction into the tree section, so more people would see your question.

It's sort of out of my area of "expertise" so maybe someone will answer who knows more. But I have noticed that baby trees tend to go into fall dormancy earlier than mature ones, sometimes without producing a lot of fall color. I think it can also be a stress reaction.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It's the first year, the plant is not well established, and something is stressing it some. No big surprise; panicking WAY too early. If it starts to have trouble next spring, then worry. But maples will shed leaves to conserve energy; not to worry yet...

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”