taneys

What is ideal hedging plant?

Hi,

Its my very first post to the forum.I am a beginner & know nothing about gardening but I am quite determined to become a successful gardener.To begin with,I want to plant a hedge on one side of the garden.Can you please suggest me an economical,low maintainance evergreen hedge.My hubby loves flowers so it would be nice if I have a flowery one...will welcome any of your suggestions!

Many thanx!

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hi Taneys, welcome to the forum!

We need to know a couple of things before we can really suggest much - we need to know the zone you are in, and how much/little sun the area you would like the hedge to be in gets.

taneys

I live in Birmingham & I think that oin the morning there's enough sunlight in that area.

Thanx!

Michigan2Iowa

Taney,

Here is a great website that will help you find your USDA Hardiness Zone:

[url]https://ww5.bhg.com/bhg/category.jhtml?catref=cat170008[/url]

Just select your state and then enter your zip code.

-Paul-

taneys

I live in United Kingdom...not USA :( ...Can you suggest anything?

Michigan2Iowa

Oh, my apologies then. I'm confident that there are other UK members here that can help give an estimate of your climate region.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Get back to us with your hardiness zone and it's temperature range so that we can compare it to our hardiness zones, ( they don't make the chart the same over the whole world :roll: ), then we'll know where to start!! :wink:

Val

taneys

Thanx for the replies.I live in Zone 8 according to the map you have mentioned.

Thanx!

Grey
Greener Thumb

In zone 8 - the first shrub that comes to mind is Lugustrum (it can also be a tree, with a very nice shape I might add, but if you keep it trimmed it's a great hedge). It doesn't bloom, but it stays very green.

If it gets just morning sun, there's the old standby of azaleas - those come in all different colors of bloom, bloom time is in the Spring.

If it's an area sheltered from the wind to an extent, then Camelias should do fine there too. Camelias do eventually get pretty tall, but it takes a number of years for them to do this. They also bloom in white, pink, deep pink, and have single or double-bloom varieties.

Another non-bloomer is boxwood - there are English, American, and Japanese varieties of these and I know they are hardy to zone 5 - but they do not like a lot of wind, either.

taneys

Many thanx Grey...it was indeed a great help!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Thanks Grey; it was the first plant to pop to mind for me as well, but some folks like the fragrance and some DO NOT; Taney's, I'd try a plant of Ligustrum this year and see what you think. While you are at it, try the boxwood (smell the foliage; some don't like that but it is evergreen, something the hedge is not). The camellia fits your description best but needs humusy soil and a bit of shade. you didn't mention eventual height, I would also look at Enkianthus ae a beautiful spring flower, semi-green foliage and simply amazing fall color. And England is famous for its yews. Lovely berry there in winter...

England is also famous for the mixed, pleached hedge. Actual trees saplingsof hornbeam (Carpinus betula ; 'Fastigiata', usually) and beech (Fagus sylvatica 'Purpurea' is the likely supect. What a great look, can be 6 or 60 feet high, your call, and this is a look from botanical gardens and old castles; very classy. Does that fit the bill or not?

HG

mootube

I'd go for Crataegus Monogyna, our native hawthorn. I'm a great fan of the species because it has so much potential.

Very pretty blossoms, edible leaves and makes a perfect hedge. If you ever want to grow fruit, you can graft foreign haws on to it of which there are many, many types and are apparently some of the nicest fruits of the world (I'll let you know next year). I believe, though I'm not sure, that you can graft apple and pear to it as well.

If that wasn't enough, you can get 50 trees for 20 quid. Look up Howardstrees on Ebay.co.uk and tell him mootube sent you for quickthorn. :lol:

Of course, I'm particularly biassed towards this remarkable species but you go with whatever you like. Cheers.

mootube

I forgot to mention, it likes any soil and you can chop it back as hard as you like.

https://www.pfaf.org/leaflets/crataegs.php

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Cedar Primadellas make great hedges but, should be planted in the Fall and watered reularly in the first spring and summer.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I am a huge fan of yews; unfortunately so are the deer...

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”