stenbough
Newly Registered

Autumn Blaze (red maple) Help!

Ok, so last fall, I planted a 10 foot Autumn Blaze Maple in my backyard. Soon after planting, it turned red, and the leaves fell off. This Spring, it came back with a lot of leaves and I can tell the branches have started their growth.

My concern is the color of the leaves. More than 3/4 of the leaves are red to reddish-green, and seem to be brighter red when the sun is out. The leaves appear healthy, and there isn't any sign of disease, but I was execting green leaves in the summer. Is this normal for a newly planted, young tree, possibly from stress?

Our backyard has a lot of clay in it as well so I don't think that helps much. Also, is there anything I can add in the soil that would aid in the growth and strength of the tree?

Thanks for reading,
Matt from Michigan

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

They seem brighter because the sun bounces off the leaves. Just fertilize in the spring with a 10-10-10 and selectively prune the branches off that cross, branch off to the inside and prune the weaker of double branches as the tree grows. If you can add some compost in the fall to freshen the soil.

stenbough
Newly Registered

I figured it wasn't anything serious, but hope it gets greener over the years. I read that the tree would need to be pruned, but I really wasn't sure what to prune. I guess I'll pay more attention to the way it grows from now on.

Thanks for the quick response :)

stenbough
Newly Registered

(previous entry deleted by author)

stenbough
Newly Registered

Just an update to this and anybody having the same problem with their Autumn Blaze Maple. Be patient. My tree, which was once a big, red, mess of leaves, has now turned 50% greener and looks much healthier than when it did in the Spring and beginning of Summer. It has a lot more growth on it, has begun to branch out about 1-2 feet around the whole tree, and the leaves which were red, have begun to turn green.

jmoore

I love those maples with the red leaves. I'm glad yours is doing well and would like to see a pic if you have one.

We planted an October Glory Maple in our previous house and it had really nice green leaves in the spring/summer. It turned flaming red at the first freeze and then all the leaves dropped off. It wasn't red long, but it was always worth the wait.

We have since moved but we still drive by to see our tree when it turns cold. I'm going to plant one at our current house this fall. I've got the perfect spot in the front yard for it.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”