momo
Cool Member

I need narrow, evergreen screen plants for part shade...

I have a large backyard that is surrounded by a few very large pines and oaks, the entire yard gets part shade with a bit of direct sun throughout the day. I want to plant a screen along three sides of the yard to provide privacy both for my family and our neighbors. I would like fast growing, narrow, evergreen plants, a height of about 20 ft would be ideal. Something like cypress, but it's too shady for cypress back there. I live in USDA zone 9b, Western Garden zone 14. The only thing I've found so far that fits the bill is bamboo, but it has such a bad reputation I just wanted to see if there were any alternatives.

Please help!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Does it really have to be 20 feet tall? If you could settle for ten feet, Sky Pencil Holly would be a good choice:

https://www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/skypenc1.html
A unique form of Japanese holly, 'Sky Pencil' has a naturally narrow and fastigiate growth pattern.
Height and Width: 10 feet tall and approximately 2.5-3.0 feet wide at maturity.
Habit: Tall, multistemmed, narrow evergreen shrub.
Prefers light, moist but well-drained, slightly acid soils in either sun or shade.

momo
Cool Member

That sounds good, I need more height in some places but not all. I'll have to see if any of the local nurseries carry it!

valleytreeman

I like 'Skypencil' too. There is also a 'Dee Runk' boxwood that grows in a narrow conical form, though it is not fastigate like the 'skypencil'.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”