hoyden287
Newly Registered

Magnolia-type tree with problem

Hello! I have a beautiful Magnolia-type tree in my from yard. It has large white and pink waxy flowers, and leaves that drop each winter and come back in the spring. However, there are these strange dark reddish bumps on the branches. They look almost like small warts or growths, and you can scratrch them off with your finger. Some branches are fine, others are covered in these strange red things. Does anyone have any idea what this is? I hate to have to lose this tree.

Thank you!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hellow Hoyden287! Welcome to the forum! Hopefully we can help you!

Sounds to me like you have an insect called scales invading your tree. There are more than 200 species of scales, so you will probably never know which one you have. They are basically a small, waxy, stationary insect. The female is what you are seeing on your tree. The male is a minute flying insect. They have larvae that are soft, tiny and crawl.
At all stages of growth, these insects suck the plant sap, weakening it, and if left with a major infestation, killing the plant.

Prune out any majorly infested plant parts. Destroy these by burning them. Then scrub the scales gently from the branches and twigs with a soft brush and soapy water, then rinse, and spray with neem oil. You should probably spray with Neem Oil every week for about three weeks to ensure that you got any lingering larvae.
If growth has not started on the tree yet for this year, spray your tree with dormant oil spray.
Try and encourage your natural biological controls like ladybugs, birds, etc., although this more of a longterm solution.

I hope you have good luck with your tree, let us know how it goes! Feel free to return with any questions or concerns, or just to chat! :wink:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Also, give your tree a weekly spray of neem oil. No more than once a week though.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I put that in there Opa already - did you think I didn't say it strong enough? :lol:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Neem and dormant oil are interchangeable here; the active agent is the suffocating factor of the oil...

Scott

hoyden287
Newly Registered

Thank you so much for your help! And thank you too for such a great, warm welcome. :D
I always thought they looked like insects, but the fact that they weren't moving at all made me think I was wrong. Now I know better. I don't think I would have ever been able to find the answer to my mystery without you! :D
I'll start working on the tree right away. It has already started to get it's new growth (I live in California, so it's already warming up). I see that it was stated that the Neem and dormant oils are interchangeable. Can I still use the Neem oil while there is such tender growth starting on my tree?
You are so wonderful, thank you for your replies!

Christina

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

You are more than welcome Christina! That's what we're here for! I would use Neem oil if there is already new growth on the tree. Spray it once a week for three or four weeks.
Let us know how it goes, and what happens with your tree! Best of luck!
Feel free to drop in any time if you have questions, problems or just to chat. :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Oil can be a bit dicey on hot sunny days. Either of the oils we discussed can burn on a really sunny day (the kind you folks are famous for). Cloudier days are best, but now is better than summer; pick your time and go for it!

Scott

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Hi Val, I missed your Neem Oil recommondation. :D Aren't you glad that we are on top of eachother?

I sure am.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

HEY! :shock:

We're not that kind of site: clean it up you two... :P

:lol:

HG
Last edited by The Helpful Gardener on Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

:roll: Oh Scott you would go there! :) Obviously I was speaking figuratively! :P

How about this as an alternative:

Aren't you glad that we reinforce eachothers ideas?

No, that just sounds to academic. (Not that I'm not an academic :wink: )

Oh, how we digress.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”