ScubaSteve

Tuliptree/Yellow Poplar General questions or care

I planted a Tulip tree on my property. I just want to make sure I'm caring for it properly. I am in zone 7 and our soil is sandy and acidic. Any suggestions??? Ps It is about 10 feet tall and leafed out quite nicely :D

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think they must be fairly adaptable trees. Although I read online that they like a loose, well-drained soil, I had a large specimen growing in my yard until 7 or 8 years ago. The soil here is heavy clay, and definitely acidic. The tree had been planted in a low spot in my yard, where the water stood each winter. It was here when I bought the property, and was at least 50 feet tall, with a trunk diameter of about 18". Nice tree.

I think I accidentally killed it. I buried a large dog under it, and I believe that digging the large deep hole in the clay soil created a "dry well" into which water drained from the rest of my yard, ultimately drowning the roots. I was very sad when it died.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

lots of liriodendron in the southern appalachians...mildly acidic is good...if it looks good, chances are it's happy.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”