va mountain hunter
Newly Registered

Flowering evergreen for use in oyster shell garden?

I'm in need of suggestions for a flowering evergreen that would thrive with little maintenance in a setting which is already covered by a 6" layer of oyster shells. So yeah, I've somewhat painted myself into a corner.

Underneath is a solid soil base that drains fairly well since it's on a slight slope. The area gets full sun year-round.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Also, should I perform a soil test before planting? The shells have been there for probably 5 years.

va mountain hunter
Newly Registered

Oh... I need two different plants. Ideal size would be 6-8 feet tall at maturity and slightly less around for the first, and the other maybe half that size.

Thanks.

applestar
Mod

What part of the world do you live?
My immediate thought was rosemary and lavender.... Not quite 6~8 feet but the rosemary will get to be 3~5 feet depending on where you live.....
If you live in northern part of the U.S. -- does va stand for Virginia? -- what about Northern Bayberry? Southern Bayberry needs a bit more moisture....

Soil test would be a good idea, though I would think it'll tend towards alkaline....

va mountain hunter
Newly Registered

Should've mentioned that, I'm in the Virginia mountains.

Yeah, the reason I asked about the soil test is that I'm afraid that it might be too alkaline

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”