Mini

new cherry trees

Hi,

Our neighbours have a very large cherry tree. It has only been pruned once in the last 16 years. That was about 3 years ago. Since then we seem to have been inundated with tiny versions sprouting all over our lawn.

I have been told that they may well be growing from the roots from the orignal tree, rather than from the cherries that drop off. How can I tell if this is the case? And is there any way of preventing this continual invasion in our lawn.

I have also been told that UK laws means I can remove any overhangng branches as long as I return them to their owner. Is this right? And can I remove the surface roots, one of which my daughter tripped over and hurt herself on.

With thanks

Mini

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I don't about the UK but more then likely the birds are dropping the seeds versus sprouerting from the roots because if that was the case you'd see signs of the roots like seedlings in a straight line versus helter skelter.

Mini

Ok Thanks.

Can't tell if the new trees are in a straight line on the lawn as they generally get mown before they can grow too big. But the ones under our trampoline are highly unlikely to be from bird droppings, the birds don't go under there. It is so dry and dark the only things growing are the seedlings.

And is it odd that they only started to grow in the last year or so, or is that normal.?

Mini

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”