newshoot3

Something is eating my hibiscus!

I went out today to see that something is chewing all of the leaves off of my hibiscus bush! I have 4 other bushes in the same bed and I'm afraid that this might spread throughout! Any ideas about what could be snacking on my little friends and what I can do to stop it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you so much! :-)

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I don't remember whether snails/slugs are plant destroyers in Florida or not (my dad's garden in Tampa wasn't plagued with them, but that was quite some time ago; Dad passed in 1986).

If they *are* present, they would be my #1 culprit. They feed at night and hide by day, so hunting them with a flashlight and trowel/big stick/heavy-soled shoes is the way to go.

An hour and a half or 2 hours after sunset, when it's been full dark for a little while, is the best time to find 'em. (Well, I suppose an hour and a half *before* dawn would also work, but I am really not a morning person, not like that... :lol: )

If this doesn't sound like the predation you're experiencing, maybe a photo will help us identify your plant destroyer.

Welcome to The Helpful Gardener!

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

newshoot3

Oh no! I've seen a TON of snails AND slugs especially right after this last really big rain. Is there any way to prevent them other than squishing them? There are so many!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Just enter "snails" or "slugs" in the Search window at the top left-hand corner of each page. There are over 10 pages (≥ 100 hits) of discussions here at THG for each one.

Some preventive measures work most of the time, and most of them work some of the time. But smashing them works 100% of the time...and ensures that *those* critters won't reproduce.

It's not an instant effect, but you will, over time, see the numbers drop.

Cynthia

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”