fezziwig
Newly Registered

Black splotches on maple leaves

I have two large maples in my back yard. I just noticed a lot of fallen leaves that have black splotches and are shriveled up. I looked up and there are some still on both trees especially on the ends of the lower branches. I don't see any high up. We have lived here for four years and I never saw this before. Is it a serious problem?

valleytreeman

Sounds like black spot disease, sometimes called tar spot. Its a rather harmless disease, but does result in asthetic problems as the spots are large and some premature leaf drop. This pareticular leaf spot disease rarely reinfects the leaves again the same season, so damage is probably pretty much done.

The best solution is good sanitation. Collect and dispose of the fallen leaves off site as they will serve as a source of spores in the spring. It is likely that a combination of favorable weather factors co-inciding with spore producting this past spring contributed to its suddden increased incidence this year. These circumstances may or may not be repeated next spring in just the right timing, so the sanitation is an important factor in reducing the risk of a repeat occurance.

fezziwig
Newly Registered

Thanks a lot! :D You were very helpful!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”