grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

My memory is no better than yours Scott, we just have different things in it!! :lol:

Val

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Question: What is a Rosary and what would a Rosary be used for? ..... And if so, why not? :wink:

Val, have your tried eating Rose Hips? I have not, I've heard that they are bitter. Though, I do eat pansies, nasturtiums, Dandelions and so on. (not that this has anything to do with Trees Shrubs and Hedges).

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Some roses are shrubs - so we could stretch the title a little......

A rosary is a string of prayer beads used in counting prayers used usually by the Roman Catholics, but by other religions as well.

And yes, I have eaten rose hips - just the meaty part, not the seeds. Actually they are not bitter at all. They in fact have a bit of a sweet side to them, more on the level of a sweet potato or carrot. They are quite tasty and add a bit of color to what you cook. They also make a very rich colored jelly. :wink:

Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

One of the things I do like about R. rugosa is the hips. Tart; huge amounts of Vitamin C...

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

OK - the tree was removed yesterday, the stump all ground... :cry: I know it needed doing but I so hate to see a living thing killed like that. I also wasn't home, and didn't know they were coming yesterday (I expected them Friday) so I lost a PeeGee hydrangea too as I hadn't dug it up yet. :evil: :x

ANYWAY.

I've raked and piled all the shavings from the stump into a pile over where the stump was, so it can decompose. Now, when I'm ready to start planting - how far away from that stump do I need to be with my new Japanese Maple, hydrangeas, etc so they are not affected by the loss of nitrogen the decomposing stump will create for a few years?

I'm sure I can pile some good compost on top of the stump for surface-type plants (I'm looking at periwinkle, for starters). Any other ideas for that area? It'll get good morning sun, and some early midday sun, the rest of it is filtered or complete shade for the rest of the day.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I say fertilize the area (bags of manure) and damn the torpedoes, put your trees and shrubs where you want them. We can make this work (you of course will be doing all the work :P :lol: ) More nitrogen from more compost, roots are not as lignous and break down easier than hardwood...

Scott

Grey
Greener Thumb

Thanks Scott! If I do that tho - it's going to have to be a raised bed so the dirt/manure/etc. has room to sit!

That stump grinding made a HUGE mess - after piling all the stump-parts back on top of the stump, we have a nearly 3' tall mound of chipbark sitting there! It'll decompose and mush down a lot tho - I've seen folks that put the pieces elsewhere to decompose and had to keep putting that back on top of where the stump was, because it will slowly sink in. I'm kind of considering that, a bucketful of compost every so often isn't so bad a chore, as long as I'm no bothering whatever I tried to plant there too much.

I hope to meet with Susan (my local-ish garden center owner) about it later today. We didn't get a chance to talk much after the Chamber meeting Wednesday, soo...

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Might have to hack a few roots out of the way but it makes sense to me to get established what you want, rather than waiting years for all the soil to settle. Perhaps something that like wet feet more in cassse there is settling, like a serviceberry? (early flower, bird friendly berry, and killer fall color...) :)

Scott

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”