NewbieGardner

Need help, my dwarf alberta spruces are both turning brown..

Could it just be a watering issue? We have not had much rain lately. I had posted a thread a bit ago asking about one of the bushes, but now both of them are turning brown. I have noticed a lot of evergreen types of trees and bushes in my area doing this so I'm wondering if I need to follow a watering routine with them. Can anyone help me with this issue?

Thanks,
NG

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

I didn't read your previous post but are they exposed to wind and sun? Yes it could be water or a combination. Alberta's have had some insect problems maybe you should call cooperative extension and see if there is a problem in your area.

NewbieGardner

bullthistle,

Hi! Yes they are exposed to wind and sun. Not so much the wind, but definatly the sun. I posted a thread before and someone said it could also be the placement of my bushes. For example if they are close to brick and in an area where they don't get much water when it rains. They are both planted close to brick and one turned brown earlier than the other so I thought that maybe it was not getting enough water because of where it is. I don't know what a cooperative extension is. Could you tell me how I can find one in my area?

Thanks for replying,

NG

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Cooperative extension is operated by the state. Do a search for your state. Brick absorbs the heat so the next time plant them away. Hey when twins are born sometimes they both don't come out at the same time. Obviously you have a problem and it is the exporsure

NewbieGardner

Thanks for the info. Since the bushes are planted where they are and there isn't anything I can do about that, is there something I can do to help remedy the problem? I can water them regularly, but is there something I can do to help protect them in any way?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

To find the phone numbers and street addresses of the extension office, perform an Internet search using the phrase

Indianapolis cooperative extension office

I got three hits for Purdue at the top of the page and many, many others later on.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”