Rosie51

Lavender cuttings

I would like to take some cuttings from my lavender plants. Right now my lavender plants are about to bloom, probably in another 2 weeks or so.

My question is: When is the best time to take cuttings? I hope to have them rooted and ready to plant by this Fall.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

we're talking softwood cuttings? in my experience you want to take them when the plant is in full-on grow-mode, before flowering. do you have some rooting hormone to help a little?

applestar
Mod

Don't know if this will work for you -- tried it on a whim myself so maybe I just got lucky: When I cut back winter-killed tips of the lavender earlier this spring -- probably mid-April or late-April, I stuck 3" pieces of the mid-shoots -- I.e. tips cut off, the next 3" or so part of the stem -- around the cabbages and cauliflowers to see if that would help repel the cabbage butterflies. Well, some of those shoots are still alive and growing tiny little flower shoots/buds of their own now so I guess they "took". :D Maybe you could still do this with tip cuttings of non-flowering stems or with flowering shoots cut off. :wink:

BTW, I'm trying the same with tip cuttings of garden phlox (not around the cabbages but in a semi-shaded location) Seems to be working.

BOTH were stuck in a sand mulch (about 1/2" layer of sand).

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

There is some good information about the process at this link:

https://www.herbcompanion.com/Gardening/Growing-Herbs-from-Stem-Cuttings.aspx

I'm still trying to master stem cuttings. I want to reproduce a couple of my rhodies and one of my azaleas with stem cuttings. I tried once before and failed, but I refuse to give up. :lol:

applestar
Mod

Try ground-layering. pd has a website with detailed instructions.

IndorBonsai

I have had really good luck using long fiber sphagnum moss in starter pots for growing cuttings off trees and bushes.

Rosie51

Wow--thanks everyone. I just read through the links that were given. Thanks so much!! This was very helpful!!!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”