sjarvis
Newly Registered

weeping cherry limbs hanging low

My weeping cherry is very healthy with lots of weeping branches and thick foliage. However, the branches seem to be growing faster than the trunk (only about 4 feet tall). many of the branches hit the ground and some are now headed out across the yard horizontally. I don't want to prune them up and get the "mushroom" effect, but it looks a bit odd to have the branches trailing off across the yard. Any suggestions?
Sara

MagnoliaMan
Cool Member

You will find that some of the branches crawling across the ground can start to root down! To keep that wonderful, informal weeping look to the plant you can gradually prune and thin the plant through the growing season by seeking healthy, young weeping branches and pruning each main branch off just below the younger shoot. Select younger shoots at DIFFERENT LEVELS so that regrowth looks natural. Do this slowly and carefully, balancing the pruning cuts around the plant until you have "lifted" the branches up off the ground. This will prevent it from looking like a three stooges' (was it Moe?) "bowl haircut" - a look I see on so many weeping trees. Chop-chop!
MagnoliaMan

sjarvis
Newly Registered

Magnolia Man,

Thanks for the tips. I certainly want to avoid a bowl cut. It didn't even look good on Moe. Your approach makes sense to me.

Sara

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”