tron_18
Newly Registered

Need help with Lavender Bush

I have a lavender bush growing under my window. I didn't plant it originally but I'm guessing from its size that it was 3-5 individual plants that have grown together.

The problem is that its now become pretty overgrown and so I took my shears to it and hacked it back into shape by trimming the top and front. The top looks fine, but now I'm worried that it is not growing back on the front side. Its been about 2 weeks since I did the trimming.

Here is a picture:
[img]https://lh6.ggpht.com/_0X-qqKgv-z0/ShnXqRJb85I/AAAAAAAABB4/AnVdiW_tbBQ/s512/0523092029a.jpg[/img]

I'd appreciate any advice on how to get this looking nice again, last year it was wonderful!

Thanks very much.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I'm not a professional nurseryperson, so I can't say for sure. I have read that you don't ever want to cut into the woody parts, only the new growth.

I can share that a "helpful yard worker" ( :roll: ) did that to my lavender about 4 years ago, without bothering to ask me about it first, and the poor plant has never recuperated. I'm starting new lavender this summer.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”