Daphne1411
Newly Registered

Ants are in my shrubs!

I've just inspected my shrubs that were only put in a few weeks ago. They have all taken really well and have nearly doubled in size. I have found that they all have ants living in them, in the new leaf area where the leaves are all newly growing. I'm devastated and desperate to know what to do as I don't want to lose them. Why have the ants taken up residence here, what damage will they do and how can I evict the little blighters?

jucats
Newly Registered

I had this problem once, the ants were actually living in a colony under the shrubs in cover of a large piece of slate.
I only found it all out when I dug up the ants nest by mistake .
I just lfilled it back in and left it, the plants came to no harm.
if its not too near your house I think you would be better just leaving it alone.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Watch for aphids. Ants will often "farm" aphids, carrying them to feed on new growth of plants. The ants stroke the aphids to get them to produce honeydew, which the ants use as food. If you see aphids, you can just wash them off with a stream of water from the garden hose. Other than that, I would just let the ants be. :)

applestar
Mod

Look closely -- are they ALL ants? There is a black form of aphids that have been plaguing cherries and broad beans in my garden. When I rub at them, you get specks of black of various sizes -- the aphids -- and black ants scattering and climbing up my arm. The ants are shepherding (herding, guarding, milking) the aphids.

In the tip growths of cherries, they cluster under the new leaves and the leaves curl up so that I have to uncurl them to find them and to treat the leaves. In the broad bean, they cluster in the folds between the shoots and the stem.

I put a very small amount -- a few drops -- of liquid soap and a splash of mouthwash mixed with water in a pint-size sprayer and spray at them -- this doesn't actually kill them but helps to loosen their hold on the plants. Then I blast them off with the garden hose.

Daphne1411
Newly Registered

Thankyou for your various advice.
I have inspected my shrubs to find green aphids on some leaves as well. Pesky ants are lining themselves up a feast! I've sprayed all of the shrubs with a soapy water mixture in the hope of deterring the ants but am considering using something a bit stronger, Nipon Gel, which gets taken back to the nest. As for the aphids, I don't know how to get rid of these, so any more advice is gratefully recieved.
I'd be interested to know if there is something I could plant that would deter ants/aphids from going in my shrubs.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I just wash the aphids off with a stream of water from my garden hose. :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”