shady zone5
Newly Registered

Spirea and snow

I want to plant a "spiraea arguta" near my path. Conditions are great in the non-snow period but an accumulation of snow over winter is my concern. The spot gets an average of four feet of snow piled on it , will the spirea survive or should I find another location?

pd

A beautiful shrub and one of my favourites. As with all cherished shrubs during winter snows, if it is becoming heavily laden take a broom or rake and gently shake the snow off to prevent the branches arching down and breaking - snow simply piling up around and through the stem should not do any harm at all.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

When I lived in "snow" country people would put an A frame over their plants so the snow didn't mess them up. Ugly in the winter but do you want ugly in the summer?

shady zone5
Newly Registered

bullthistle wrote:When I lived in "snow" country people would put an A frame over their plants so the snow didn't mess them up. Ugly in the winter but do you want ugly in the summer?
True. Plus my season is so short here to begin with. I really want to get the most of what survives. I'll consider the tea pees.

shady zone5
Newly Registered

pd wrote:A beautiful shrub and one of my favourites. As with all cherished shrubs during winter snows, if it is becoming heavily laden take a broom or rake and gently shake the snow off to prevent the branches arching down and breaking - snow simply piling up around and through the stem should not do any harm at all.
I wish a broom was all I needed to move the snow here. Some storms I've used a scoop (about 2 feet wide and 3 feet deep) to get out of my house. That snow ends up on the sides of the path. Anyway ...the location proved to be impossible , my 15 year old Katsura tree hasn't left
enough workable soil to plant a shrub. Any ideas on a shallow rooted
shade perennial that could survive in the drip line of Katsura?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”