opp2

hail damage to tender leaves

Hello all!

Well, we had a huge hail storm here on saturday morning. I've never seen anything quite like it. It hailed little hail stones, about the size of peas to chickpeas, for about 15-20 minutes. At the end, my heart was nearly broken for Momma Robin. She got knocked out of her nest, and her eggs were very badly battered. She herself spent an hour and a half just sitting on the patio barely moving.

Worse yet though is all the new spring growth on my trees. The leaves on my English Oaks appear to all be shredded, my red maple lost about 2/3 of it's leaves, and the flowers on the purple sand cherry are also nearly gone.

Does anyone have any experience with this kind of storm and what I can expect for growth on these trees this year? By growth I mean leaf out?

thanks much....

valleytreeman

I would expect them to leaf out though not as heavily as the first leaf-out. They already expended a significan part of their reseves on the first leafing and will have less to call on the next time. The battered leaves may drop or hang on and be a bit unsightly or the season, but that is the way of nature.

There is a chance the tender or thin barked twigs may show some injury in the form of small cankers, but these should heal over the next year.

opp2

Just an update, all the trees grew full canopies of leaves. I'm very impressed with the resilience of plants.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”