a68shaker
Newly Registered

trunk damage on a japanese maple

I just moved a large japanese maple and with padding and straps the tree was still ringed. the bark is gone approx. 6 inches wide arond the trunk , is there anything that I can do to save this tree

MagnoliaMan
Cool Member

If the tree is missing bark ALL the way around and is "girdled" it may live for a while, but is probably doomed. If there is a good, solid strip of bark that maintains contact between the root system and top of the tree there is a chance of survival but the recovery will depend on how much connection there is and how healthy the tree was. Good luck!

phred

a68shaker
I posted about a JM a week or so ago and posted some pics. One of my favorite trees in my daughters yard is a JM but after posting the pic I was told that the split along the trunk was not good. Yesterday the tree really started to look dead. The surprising thing was that it was so sudden. It experienced a rapid growth dhe last couple of years due to the loss of a couple of much larger trees via "Isabelle" coming thru the are a few years ago. The JM was exposed more openly and appeared to be flourishing. I will be cutting it down in a few weeks. It was surprising because it happened so suddenly
bummer.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”