this is a shrub at my workplace usually later in the summer
the leaves get a really heavy dust of something all over them

https://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt29/dankydoo02/019.jpg

https://i594.photobucket.com/albums/tt29/dankydoo02/020.jpg

I live in north east tn and the date is incorrect I took these about a week ago

Thank you

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's a viburnum. If I'm right, those flowers when they open up will be very fragrant. The dusty stuff on them is most likely a fungal infection, called powdery mildew. My lilacs get it every year and while it ruins some leaves and makes it less pretty, it doesn't seem to really hurt the shrub (which is old and well established).

Things to do for it include: Rake and destroy fallen leaves. Remove and destroy heavily infected leaves and shoots. Spray it with a baking soda solution. One I just heard about on this forum recently (you can do a search to find the posting about it) is make a one to ten solution of organic milk and water and spray the leaves with that, preferably before they get infected.

MagnoliaMan
Cool Member

Looks like a 'Prague' or 'Willowwood' viburnum. Looks more like my Pragues. Upon very close inspection I think that the white stuff is just light reflection in the picture from the shiny leaf surface, not mildew. Mildew is a problem here, and my Pragues show no sign during another incredibly wet spring.
Cheerio! Magnoliaman

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

my comment about the powdery mildew has nothing to do with the picture, it has to do with the comment in the original post re
"usually later in the summer the leaves get a really heavy dust of something all over them." I stand by my comment. The powdery mildew usually does show up later in the summer.

DankyDoo

thank you all very much I agree after searching the prague vib.
it look very similar to these shrubs. They grow in alot of shade on the
backside of the building in the pic and alot of trees on the other side
of the road where I took the pic, would that make them more fragile to the mildew?

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”