NewbieGardner

Dwarf Alberta Spruce bush help....

I have two Dwarf Alberta Spruces one on either side of my garage. One is doing fine. The other has some brown branches that are on the side of the bush that faces the house and although there is some new green showing up on the edge of some of these brown branches I am still concerned about my bush. Could anyone help me with what this is and how I can help my bush from further damage?

Any help is appreciated!

MagnoliaMan
Cool Member

Here in south central Kansas I see this a lot. Dwarf Alberta spruce likes a north or east exposure here, out of the hot afternoon sun and our blistering summer winds. If this occurred during the winter it could be "desiccation" or dry out from lack of moisture, especially if the spruces are under an eave or in a "rain shadow" - an area that is unlikely to get the same moisture as a plant out in the open. Another factor is heat reflection from the surface behind. For example, if an Alberta spruce is on a south- or west-facing exposure near a brick or stone house it will get heat during the day and more heat in the early night still coming from the brick or stone. In the winter it still gets more heat on the backside to dry it out. If it has both the stone background and is in a "rain shadow" situation it will likely brown out on the backside. Don't know if this is the case but thought I'd throw this out there...
Magnoliaman

NewbieGardner

It sounds like where my bush is located has to do with why it has been turning brown. So I guess my question is what are my options? Do I just have to be mindful of keeping it well watered? Do I need to also put some plant food spikes down for it?

Thanks for the help!

NewbieGardner

Can anyone give me any advice about what I can do to help my bush?

Thanks,
NG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”