Fredsta
Newly Registered

Yucca pests - How to Stop Caterpillars?

I have a large what I think is a yucca plant in my garden and I live in SE QLD AUstralia. It was thriving until a few weeks ago when it was attacked by caterpillars which appear slightly grey about an inch or two long with a red head from looking on the web they look like Spodoptera picta or lilly caterpillar. They are voracious and leave behing lots of droppings as they rip through the leaves. The leaves have turned almost yellow and I am worried that the plant is done for. I have used white oil and Rogor but they still are around. Has anybody had any luck with anything else?

webmaster
Site Admin

What is the bird situation in your yard like? Do you have bird baths, feeders and bird houses out for them?

The other thing that's interesting is there was a study that showed the sound of buzzing bees help keep caterpillars from eating.

Here's a post about [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11469]stopping caterpillars with bees[/url].

Consider reading that thread as well as the article about the scientific studies for some ideas. It seems to suggest either planting flowers that attract bees or hosting the bees in your own hives.

Fredsta
Newly Registered

Thanks for the advice. There are plenty of birds around and I have fruit trees in the garden and a passion fruit vine so plenty of bees as well. Here's hoping they get to work!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”