JoanieM
Newly Registered

tulip magnolia

I have a shrub/tree in my yard that I'd always heard called a tulip tree. However, in searching the web I found that it is actually a tulip magnolia, very different from a tulip tree. My question is this.....my bush/tree is several small branches or stems coming from the ground and bushing out. I have seen these grown as very tall, beautiful trees. I'd love to train mine that way if possible. How do I go about doing this?

If that is not possible, can I prune it down to make it bush out even more. What I have is sort of in between a tree and a bush.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Joanie

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Magnolia soulangiana is what some uninformed call the tulip magnolia however a tulip tree is liriodendron tulipifera. Big difference. Since you have multiple stems on your magnolia the actual height might be 25', on the tulip tree you are looking at 75' and not a tree you want near your home in huirricane alley, because it is a softwood and weak tree compared to a oak or most maples. You want a short magnolia, shrubby type plant, buy a stellata, generally pure white flowers versus the saucer magnolia which generally are two toned. No you cannot trim a tulip tree into a shrub unless you want to practice bonsai annually.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The fact you are calling it a bush/tree leads me to believe you may have one of the smaller magnolias that BT is talking about... can we get images? Leaves, buds and flowers especially...

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”