new home owner
Newly Registered

what are these zones people keep talking about

What does it mean when people say zone 9 or zone 7? How can I tell what kind of soil I have?

new home owner
Newly Registered

this internet is amazing. Nevermind the zone question I'm in 8B!!!

thanks, Andi

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Glad you were able to answer your question. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

AS for the soil part, you probably heve a free or near free soil testing service through your state extension service or local college; check your blue pages...

HG

mootube

As I understand it (I'm new too), there may be more to it than just zones. Here in the UK for example, we get long, drawn out winters with erratic late frosts. Some plants aren't suited to that and don't do so well so depending on where you live, it may be worth looking up more info on your seasonal weather.
Perhaps someone more knowledgable can tell you more.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Zones are just an average of local climates and are used as a general guideline for planting different plants.

As Scott said in a previous thread: Microclimates are very important in planting different plants.

For instance, if you have a heavily shaded part of your garden but, you zone is supposed to be a zone that is traditionally hot, then you won't be able to grow "hot" plants in the shaded part of your garden.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Sure, that or windy locations read colder, hollows can get freezes a zone colder than a south facing hillside, large bodies of water, city conditions (3 actual zones inside San Francisco city limits, frinstance :shock: ).

Some plants can fool you. Calluna spp., or heather, can be hardy to nearly Zone 4 with perfect drainage, but is a Zone 6 in average garden soil. Lots of factors to take into account other than just zone.

But it's a darn good place to start...

HG

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

My vegetable garden (20 minues away) is in zone 7a, and I live in zone 8b (here). So, Victoria Runs from 7a to 8b and perhaps more :shock: Yikesu desu yo.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”