Gardener in Paradise
Newly Registered

How to Uproot and Move a Ponytail Palm?

In our recently 'acquired' garden are two Ponytail Palms - in the ground - side by side. From all appearances, they are identical, but look separate. They are about two feet tall from base to the top of the fountain of leaves. There is actually very little space for them to grow in their current location. My intention is to pot them separately and display their beauty in a more appreciative environment. How do I handle their root system, and if they are actually just one plant, how do I safely separate them? Thank you! :D

MagnoliaMan
Cool Member

Here in KS, USA my ponytail is an indoor plant in the winter, outdoor plant in the summer and is containerized. I have replanted it twice into larger containers. Each time I have done so I have found it profusely rootbound, and have literally taken a full inch or more of solid roots off of the whole ball. My point is that I believe this plant to be very forgiving when its roots are severed.
My plant is over 5' tall from the soil level in the pot. The only adverse reaction that I have had is a few more lower leaves browning out. As small as yours are, I would guess that you could dig as large a ball as you could conveniently handle for each and move them, likely with minor damage.
Please, someone else chime in if you have had a different experience.

bonsaiboy
Greener Thumb

Another way to go about doing this is to dig up the root ball, and by using something like a hose, spray the root ball. This will wash away the dirt without harming the roots. Then, you will be able to tell if they are separate or not. Seeing as how small they are, I do not think they will suffer at all from the transplant. As MagnoliaMan stated, they are very durable.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

If soil allows just digging between them months before the move would be enough to seperate an conjoining of root systems...

Soak the ground a few days before the move and do NOT rinse the roots as all attendant soil symbiotes would be washed away; the LAST thing you want to happen when moving to a new location. Take the old soil with the plant to the new holes...

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”