jade
Newly Registered

Moving an outdoor jade plant

Hi, I have 25year old jade plant that we need to move to make way for a new fence.
I have heard that the jade plant is very hardy - we would only be moving the plant about 1metre away from where it has been the last 25years, so the soil and sun is similar.
Has anyone got tips for moving the tree as it would be horrible to move it and it not survive.
thank you.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Welcome to the forum Jade!
If you are going to move it, the one sure thing I can suggest, is to ensure that you have a good amount of soil around the root ball as possible. The less you disturb the roots, the less it will shock. If you can, dig around and under it far enough out that you don't hurt the roots at all.
Then dig your new hole, putting plenty of good nutrition in the hole before you put your plant in. Add compost, well rotted manure, shredded leaves, etc. and some bone meal, and mix it in with the soil. Moisten everything thoroughly, then plant your Jade plant, ensuring the soil is well packed in around it so that there are no air pockets. Then water again.
That's about it! Feel free to stop back and ask questions any time. Best of Luck!! :wink:
Val

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd shy away from adding a lot of humic material to a jade plant; they like it a bit dryer. Succulents need a lot less nutrition and water; I'd probably use the soil from the hole and not add much of anything...Watering in should be done well, though...

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”