photographybyalisha
Newly Registered

Burning bush or firepower nandina?

and why?

pd

Be wary of common names (vernacular) many different plants have the same local name.
My experience tells me that the true and original 'burning bush' is Dictamnus alba' a perennial that when mature gives off a volatile oil. On a warm, calm summer evening the evaporation of this oil hangs around the plant and can easily be ignited.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You folks in the U.K. have strange plants. I prefer evergreen over deciduous so I vote of Nandina. But the plants are opposites so why would you be chosing between the two? One is dwarf the other standard.

pd

It appears I did not understand your question. My answer was regarding plant nomenclature. Perhaps you could explain more fully what help you are seeking.

valleytreeman

One or the other

As Bullthistle said, 'Firepower' is a dwarf Nandina, with very colorful foliage that intensifies as cold weather sets in. It is 'evergreen' or 'everred'. It rarely exceeds 2 or 3 feet in height and spread, and I have never seen one bear fruit.

The typical burning bush is a euonymus, can get right large if you let it, has a blze of red in the fall and as mentioned before, drops its leaves. In some quarters it is considered invasive.

I think your choice is greatly dependent upon you application and the effect you want to exhibit.
hey its me!

Treeman

valleytreeman

Interesting

pd, that is an interesting plant.... i shall have to investigate that further. Can you imagine the fun you can have with smokers who visit your garden with a plant like that.
hey its me!

Treeman

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”