rgathright
Newly Registered

Crate Myrtle Trees Have Lichen On Them!

I have three Crate Myrtle Trees in my front yard that never seem to grow. I found some Lichen on them and picked them off but was wondering if this could cause them to not grow as fast?

Thanks for any help!

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

The problem for no growth more than likely is not the lichen but the soil they are planted in. Does water sit around the base? Did you plant them too deep? Did you amend the soil when you planted? Crapemyrtles normally shed their bark annually, so before it leafs out you might want to incorporate some manure or compost around the base of the plants and add some bonemeal, turn over the soil down 6", but make certain you backfill so there are no low spots for water to collect and selectively prune in the fall. Branches that grow towards the center prune those, if you have double branches off the main stem prune off the weakest and prune back any sucker growth from the base. You may not see any change this year but next year you should and fertilize once a year with a basic NPK.

rgathright
Newly Registered

Thanks for the reply. The trees have pine bark mulch but no lime has ever applied. I will slowly work it in and hope for the best next year.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”