Trudy_Roundwindow
Newly Registered

Lilac Tree - when is the best time to dig up and repot?

I am hoping to be moving house sometime next year and the only thing I want to take with me from the garden is a small lilac tree which has been in the ground 4yrs now.

I would like to dig it up and pot it to take away with me, when would be the best time of year for this and are there any other points to take into the consideration?

Many thanks :)

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

Depending when you are moving. If in the off season dig up just before you move and wrap the soil so it doesn't fall away but if during the growing season dig up while dormant and make certain it gets water.

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

This is a very bad time to try and move the tree, as the tree is waking and getting ready for bloom. When you dig the tree most of the feeder roots will be lost. You are not going to like this, but you should probably cut about 1/3 of the top growth back to reduce the demands on the diminished roots. Also you will want to keep the tree almost constantly moist, but not water logged. It simply will not be able to handle drying out between waterings. If it were my tree and I could get an adequate container, I would move it to a large nursery pot for the season and would keep the plant in semi shade to reduce transpiration. That way moisture could be monitored and adjusted more precisely. Would look to move the tree to its permanent spot in the late fall after the tree has gone dormant.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”