elevenplants

Cuttings from hydrangea

I have a lovely old hydrangea bush that is about to have to go, as it is in the way of the deck we're about to build on the back of our house. I want to take cuttings, but have no good ideas about this, as I am basically not a shrub type person. This one was my mother's. Any ideas or techniques to share, anyone?

Rebecca

milifestyle

There are a few different types of Hydrangea and most propogate well from cuttings.

I used to propogate Hydrangea Macrophylla by both layering and softwood cuttings. When pruning I would push a dozen or so semi hardwood tips around the base of the shrub usually 6 - 10 would take root.

Softwood cuttings in propogating media under controlled conditions would be more successful. If propogating outside (in the ground) use slightly larger and harder canes (Between the older dry stem and new softwood growth.

EDIT: Forgot to say... Immediately after flowering is the best time to propogate.

elevenplants

Thanks so much. Before I read your reply, I had gone off on my own and taken cuttings, putting some in soil and others in water to 'root'. We shall see. If these don't work, I will try again after bloom.

Also, just noticed there is an entire segment of this forum devoted to hydrangeas. Going there to read now. :lol:

Rebecca

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”