SpikeMike
Newly Registered

Red Twig Dogwood

I have 3 red twig dogwoods in front of my house for the past 5 years. Recently (last year) they started to have some white spots on the main stems and this year, some branches are getting covered with the white flaky covering.

Any idea on what this is? What can be done about this - or is it too late to save them??

Thanks,

Newbie gardener in NJ.

valleytreeman

A red twig dogwood could be one of several species of the genus Cornus..... most likely C. Alba or maybe SC. Sericea (C. Stolonifera).

I suspect you are seeing the natural aging of the branches. As the bark on on older stems ages it changes color and loses the red coloration. newly emerging branches and twigs should still come out red. If this is the case, and you value the red stems, hard punning now before growth begins will stimulate vigorous shoot growth from the ground. The new shoots will be red.

There is a possibility it is a scale, in which case Prunning and removal of the prunnings off site is in order and would be the best solution. Scales are sucking insects that attach themselves to the bark and suck sap from the plant. They are had to kill as they have a protective "shell" over their bodies. If you are not organic, there are some chemicals on the market that act as plant systemics that will help. If you are organic, try dormant oil spray now and Neam Oil as soon as it warms a bit. New eggs will hatch and become crawlers. This is when they will be vulnerable. I would say retreatment with neam oil every two weeks well into June would catch the crawlers.

SpikeMike
Newly Registered

Thanks Treeman!

I have pruned back heavily this year and will see how that works. I really noticed the white substance covering the bushes last year and actually removed a good amount of it with a blast of water.

Unfortunately, some of the plant that was covered with the white substance actually died off. Can't determine if it's bugs or not, but I will attept the spraying solution you mentioned. I'll check back in and let you know results.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”