Lennis
Newly Registered

Plants in my tree!

Hi, I'm new here but this looks like a great site!

I have a large old maple tree on the side of my house (probably 50' tall). About 10' up, it splits four ways. The crotch in the split holds lots of leaves in the fall. I clear them out to avoid any rotting. But this summer I noticed foreign plants growing in there! No, they are not sprouts - these are definitely different plants. Anyway, I ripped them out.

So on the the questions....

Am I correct in assuming that leaves and plants in the crotch are bad and will cause rot?

Is there anything I can do to permanently remedy this situation? Someone had suggested putting tar in the crotch.

Thanks for your help!

Lennis

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

It is generally not a good idea for the tree to develop a new planting in it, and yes that can lead to rot. But I think you have gotten it right already and I wouldn't tar or fill it as that may create an equally good place for fungii to live...

Allowing a puddle up there in season will actually water the tree (yep, they DO drink through the bark; not as much, but...), allow for a natural bird bath in an advantageous place, and offer an outstanding place for tree frogs to lay eggs (a space in short supply). So Mother Nature and I ask you to climb the ladder every other year or so and keep that spot clean; it's valuable real estate! :D

Scott

Lennis
Newly Registered

Thanks very much! I'll be sure to keep the leaves and plants clear and let the water stay. Tree frogs would be very cool. My property borders the Great Swamp (Patterson, NY - a protected wetland) so who knows what critters my big ol' tree will attract! :shock:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Tree frogs can be a little loud, but they are one of the sounds of summer to me and I love finding them (often in crazy places); a smooth, grey green frog with unmistakeable toe pads. You'll know it when you see it...

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”