charliearkright
Newly Registered

Disease identification

Hi all,

I have a photo of a shrub in my garden that has a disease. I wanted to know what the shrub is and what the disease is please if possible.

Also, I don't know how to upload a picture yet!

If you paste this url into your browser it should take you to the picture.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35849899@N06/3382751560/

Thanks all!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

It looks as if an insect, or combination of insects, is eating it. The holes are too small for slug/snail damage (don't know if you have to deal with them?), but holes with full-color foliage around them are often a sign of hungry pests.

Good luck.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

MagnoliaMan
Cool Member

Definitely a varmit! Check it out for insects...no disease chews holes!

valleytreeman

I agree this is most likely a critter, but there actually are some diseases that do eat holes in leaves. A common one is shot hole disease of cherry laural. It is a fungus infection that leaves small rount shot sized holes in the leaves. Its rarely a problem in the landscape but is fairly common in container grown specimens in nurseries.

You may have to do some night time snooping with a flashlight to discover just who is feasting.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

I'd agree with the nightime snoop, treeman. Looks a little like weevil damage. Can't say I have a grasp on the plant I.d.

If it is black vine weevils, whack 'em with nematodes. The weevils burrow back into the soil every morning to wait for night again, and the 'todes can git em then. AND the larval stages as well if they are laying in the soil. I love neamatodes for a variety of sins, but this is one of their best uses...

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”