Richie4925a
Newly Registered

BAMBOO Question About Cutting it Back

Hi all, new to gardening and this is my first post.

Was wondering if someone could answer a few small questions I have.

My friend has just given me some bamboo from his garden and I have put it in mine as a screen. The problem is it is about 11-12 foot tall.

It has very little leaves on the first 6-7 foot and all the leaves are on the top 5 or so foot. The leaves are very green, about 6" long by 1-2 " in width.

Q- What kind is it ?
Q- Can I cut it down to 6-7 foot?
Q- if I do cut it, will leaves come back or will I be left with sticks?

All advise welcome as I have no idea what am doing.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It depends if you want a screen instantly. Any cutting back will promote sucker growth from the bottom. Different types of bamboo, take a picture and post so someone may clarify.

Richie4925a
Newly Registered

Will the growth come from the shoot I cut down to 5 to 6 foot or a new shoot from the bottom roots.

If the bottom what will happen to the bit I cut to 5-6 foot.

Will get picture on soon I hope if I ever figure it out.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

not aware of any kind of bamboo that regrows from anywhere besides the ground.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Bamboo is a grass; growth always comes from the root...

The other interesting thing about bamboo growth is that once a stalk is stopped in height it will never grow taller; it is used for controlled height hedging quite a bit in Japan. I suspect you are talking one of the Phyllostachys species or cultivars; I would warn you that these are very root invasive to the point of destructive, so be sure to control roots with a hard barrier (and I have seen this plant go under a driveway).

If you got lucky and your friend was nice enough to give you a piece of a clump former like Fargesia it is not a problem and you have a very good friend. But send an image and we'll find out...

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”