MarkMHouston
Newly Registered

Azalea Help

I appreciate anyone's advice/feedback and have searched to find the answers I am looking for with limited success. I have two issues here and apologize for the long post, but want to provide as much info as I have. I live 25 miles north of Charlotte, NC and don't know what type of azaleas these are.

Situation 1 - I have a 10X20 foot area of azaleas that have been in part to full shade for the past 10+ years. For the past 8 years, they have not been maintained and are very overgrown. Until two years ago, they were fully covered by english and poison ivy (previous owner) which I removed when we moved in. Due to a sever storm last fall, the trees providing the full shade have been destroyed. I am now left with an overgrown patch that is now in full sun. After the flowers this year, I was planning to prune back 1/3 or more. Now that they are in full sun, should I consider cutting back even more?

Situation 2 - Azaleas were planted along the entire front of my house (approx 60 feet). They were planted in front of a row of another bush (can't recall the name). Now that these have matured for the past 10+ years, the base of the azaleas are about 1 foot under the canopy of the other bush and have long (2 - 3 foot) extensions coming out from under the bush and form a hedge (it actually looks pretty good given the situation) These also have not been cared for and are very overgrown with light not getting in beyond the edge of the edge of the azaleas due to thickness. Given the changes over the years, these are in full sun. I have a hard time keeping them spider mite free (even with spray) and they look like they are a bit burned out (brown spotty leaves, spider mite damage) I plan to significantly cut the other bush back so that the azaleas base are not under its canapy. This will allow light into the base of the azaleas. Given these are in full sun, is there anything outside of pruning that I should consider for these?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

The only thing I can advise is that it's recommended not to prune more away more than 1/3 of an azalea shrub in one year.

I'm not sure about the sun/shade situation. It's possible that the azaleas will do just fine. Are they deciduous where you live? If so, the new leaves that emerge should adapt themselves to the current light levels. If not, I think the worst that would happen would be that the bushes would drop some leaves this season. They should recuperate, though. Mine did, anyway, when they were suddenly exposed to direct sun from late morning until early afternoon due to the death of a large tree.

pointcook phil

Hi there,

Azeleas generally like morning sun here....do you have a hot climate? Too much sun burns them to a crisp here.

Cheers

valleytreeman

I don't think azaleas favor full sun anywhere, but can adapt as long as it isn't a daylong onslaught on a southern or western exposure (n. hemisphere).

In the first instance above, I think your plan to reduce the competition is what is needed. the azaleas will probably look stringy and ratty after this operation. I would probably do the size reduction on the competing hedge now then follow with the azalea prunning after bloom. My guess is it will take several years to reagain a perspective you like.

In the second instance, I think the question is.... Is it a south/west facing wall, and absolutely no sun protection? Those plants may have a tough road to hoe if so.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

It all depends what you want. When I bought my house in Charlotte, I transplanted 15 year old azaleas in the summer, but it was a rainey summer and they didn't look worse for wear and actually all prospered. Some azaleas will take more sun than others, but if they are the norm, Wal Mart type plant I would wait until the winter to prune because you will be looking at butchered plants all summer especially since you indicated pruning back 1/3. If you have different colors you might want to spread out your pruning over a couple of years so you could add some dimension to the blooms. Prune all the same color this winter and another the following winter to give the blooms some depth. Just a thought. I just bought some 1 gallons at Wally World and will transplant into 3 gallon and pinch back the blooms, so I am the opposite of you.

MarkMHouston
Newly Registered

Thank you all for the replies. After digging around in the bed, I came across an old plant tag and can now identify these as Azalea Fashion - Glenn Dale Hybrid Azalea. From reading about these, the flowering pattern confirms that this is the appropriate tag.

I have tracked the sun a bit more and now that leaves are coming out, the patch in situation 1 are going to get much more protection than situation 2. I plan to cut back the azaleas in situation 1, but probably not by 1/3. I will likely get the crossed/tangled branches out and then any dead limbs.

Situation 2 is a different story. I think that we are burning these out with the sun. After seeing the sun pattern more the sections that are most damaged are the ones that get the most sun. My best option with these is probably to get another treen in our front yard that will provide some shade protection and hope they hang on that long. I will be thinning these out this year and hope that the river birch we planted last year grows a lot this year.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”