newshoot3

More Maple mishaps...

:cry: My new maple doesn't look so good. I think I've overwatered. I had heard that you want to keep it well watered when you first plant it, so I watered it 2 days in a row. Then, I did some research and learned that the easiest way to kill a plant in clay is to overwater. *sigh* I've not watered it in 3 days and I just went out and dug down 2 inches - still wet. I'm not going to water it again until the soil needs it. How will I know when my little friend turns a corner? Is it still possible? I hope that maples are forgiving and that I haven't killed my first tree. Any words of wisdom or encouragement?

MagnoliaMan
Cool Member

Lighten up!

Get yourself a long (preferably 10") skinny screwdriver. This can be the "magic moisture tester!" Use this to probe the soil around your tree. When the screwdriver meets resistance the soil is getting dryer. If it slides through easily it is still moist. Maples are generally shallow rooted, so if you hit resistance at 4-6" it is probably time to water. This depends on your soil and you will have to learn by testing with the screwdriver and then digging a bit away from the tree to see...

newshoot3

Thanks for the tip! Just my luck - it rained like crazy last night. I'm sure putting the hardiness of this little guy to the test! :lol:

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”