biwa

How to germinate dawn redwood?

I have a pine cone from a dawn redwood tree (metasequoia glyptostroboides). Since its such a rare tree, I would like to plant it. How would you recommended germinating it? I was thinking maybe 2-3 months cold-moist stratification then planting it in a pot until its big enough to be transplanted outside. But I've never grown redwoods before, so I would prefer to have advice so I don't make a mistake.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

You might want to Google. It's not that rare but few know what it is. It depends on the casing. A search might help.

EarlyForest
Newly Registered

Growing Dawn Redwood

biwa,
I would go to ... [url]https://nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Metasequoia.pdf[/url] for specific growing instructions. I have grown Dawn Redwood myself, they are quite easy to get started and a lot of fun. They grow fast and have really cool bark. I started some in my office in a sunny window.
For growing other trees always check out...[url]https://nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Genera.htm[/url]

EarlyForest
Newly Registered

btw, you have a dawn redwood cone, pine cones grow on pines :wink:

greg wentzel
Newly Registered

growing dawn redwood

I have a Dawn Redwood in my backyard that dropped hundreds of cones last year. I collected them and placed them in a shoe box that I kept in a dry outdoor unheated shed to winterize. In the spring I shook the box and hundreds of seeds spilled out. I soaked about the seeds in plain water and planted them in a tray of loose, loamy, sandy soil covered with a fine layer of sphagnum moss to cover the seeds. I placed a clear storage container over the tray to create a mini greenhouse. I have had about 30% germination. If you only have one cone (about 10 seeds) you will probably only get 2 or 3 seeds to germinate. You can buy seeds online pretty cheap. The most important thing to do is winterize the seeds in a dry environment.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”