tattie
Newly Registered

Box Hedging Turns Yellow

Hello,
Can anyone advise on whats best to do with my hedging.In early autumn I planted 350 bare rooted box hedging in garden I buried fairly deep in compost and a bone meal mix.I watered regularly and everything was fine until just after the cold snap we had over xmas.It resulted in almost every plant turning yellow.I was advised to cut the top 2" of the shrubs from supplier three weeks ago,but being honest I cannot see any recovery.They are not totally yellow there are some green foilage.I would be grateful if any member could help myself.I am awaiting answers from the internet company that suppied.Will they recover on there own or not?

valleytreeman

"Box Hedging? Do you mean boxwood as in the genus Buxus? Or some other shrub ? Were they planted out in an exposed area. What is the soil like?

350 Bare root seedlings is a lot... how large were they when you recieved them.

My gut says your gonna hafta wait and see.... but more info would be helpful. Yellowing may well be expected for a bare rooted fall planted seedling that has just gone thru a pretty tough winter. I'm not sure what the purpose of cutting the top 2" is other than to encourage "thickening" by stimulationg multiple sprouts.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

There are a lot of frost-tender plants in the San Francisco Bay Area. We had a hard freeze in the early '90s and another one last December (2008).

The advice from experts around here when plants suffer from hard freezes is NOT to do anything until spring is well underway.

Cutting off damaged branches, according to the advice I read and heard on both occasions, will 1) stimulate tender growth which itself will be susceptible to frost and 2) expose new surfaces to wet conditions, possibly encouraging pests and disease.

OTOH, waiting until the spring will give the gardener a good read on exactly how much of the plant is actually dead, and how much was driven into deep dormancy.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

tattie
Newly Registered

Thanks for the information ,but should of mentioned that it was buxus hedging at a height of 18" when planted in the most northernly part of britain.The soil is good with a lot of John Innes compost and a bone meal mix when planted.Thanks again.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”