Gardentime

Thinking of planting a couple more trees...

Hey guys, I was thinking of planting a couple trees this spring. I want to know what you think about the following trees:

1) Flowering Crab Apple
2) Tulip Poplar
3) Weeping Willow

-The trees would be planted at least 25 feet from the foundation of our house. No septic/well underground.

Thank you.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

A weeping willow would be great if you have water sitting, but never plant it close to your house because it will grow towards water, sewer, water, etc. Crab is great flowering but fruits are a mess in the fall, but not on sterile crabs. A tulip grows tall but has a tendency to be a weak tree. What about a sugar maple iand in 20 years you can tap it. You should have a large lot if you want to grow trees that get tall. What about a redbud? Smaller trees are better for small lots besides they put your house in scale on the lot. Big trees dwarf your house if it is one story.

Gardentime

Thanks Bullthistle,

Our house is two-story and we wanted something that we could enjoy before we move in approximately 5 years. We do get a lot of water where we were planning on planting a tree. I found this weeping cherry tree online and I was wondering if you would recommend this over a weeping willow (view link below). Thank you very much for your input...I will definitely take it into consideration.

Weeping Cherry: https://www.gardenerschoice.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=165

Have a nice day!

...More suggestions welcome...

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If you are wanting to enjoy your tree in the next few years, start with one of the smaller ones. Your weeping cherry would be nice. Other possibilities would be redbud or dogwood. Both are native trees, beautiful in spring, pretty quick growing. You would definitely enjoy them in the years you have with them.

Gardentime

Thanks RG! I appreciate all of the great suggestions guys.

Have a great day!

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”