matthew.e.stevens
Newly Registered

Willow Question

We just purchased a willow tree for planting in our backyard. Followed all the advice from the seller and it looked beautiful for about a week and a half. Recently, the tree has lost most of it's leaves and the rest have turned yellow. All other trees around are still green and lush? I have been told that maybe it has had too much water or it's gone into shock from the transplant? Is that normal for a new tree or have we done something wrong? :?:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Need some more info. Your location? Watering when planted? Fertilizing? Light conditions? Where is the trunk flare in relation to the soil's surface?

Too much water for a willow is when you can't see it because it's covered by it, so that's NOT it. :P Transplant shock seems unlikely as well; this is a hardy tree that roots at the drop of a hat. Maybe some more info (and better yet an image) will help...

HG

Garden_Pup
Newly Registered

You know, we had this same problem a few years back when we planted one of our contorted willows down by the pond. The willow was planted about three feet from the water's edge. Plenty of water you might say. Well I grabbed a few cuttings off of the tree because it looked like it was headed for that great garden in the sky. Sure enough, we lost the little fellar. His lil' ones are now about six feet tall and we learned alot from their papa (or mama?). When we dug up that willow by the pond, the dirt was bone dry. Why, even one of them big night crawlers couldn't bust through that sod. We had a pretty warm summer this year and we got some of the same indications from a couple more of the contorted willows. After a thorough watering, they have perked up and are doing wonderful. Like The Helpful Gardener says, you just can't give willows too much water. That would be my first guess now and a good way to check that would be to dig your finger down into the soil around the tree and if it seems even a bit dry, then I'd give it a real good waterin'. You need to make sure the water gets down to the bottom of the root ball. A little trickle for a couple of seconds just won't do the trick. Soak that sucker good. BTW, what a great forum!

matthew.e.stevens
Newly Registered

More info on my willow....we just planted it two weeks ago. The seller told me that it had planty of fertilizer and none would be needed when planting. We are located in the Augusta, GA area and have had plenty of rainfall prior to planting. Since then, I have watered it a few times, the soil is moist but sandy clay. Since the leaves have begun to turn yellow, we have cut back on the water and have let nature handle it. Questioning wether it's too much water or shock, I am waiting to see what responses I get. The branches are still a nice bright green and there are still some leaves. We planted the tree in a drainage ditch which leads to a weerwell and drains all water from other properties in the development. I'm hoping to save this little fella....we have both fell in love with this tree and hope to bring it back from the "Dead"? :wink:

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Could just be drought stress from the dry weather; dropping leaves cuts down on transpiration and thus water use. Again I am far more worried about dry vs. wet soil; check that soil moisture!

And don't panic; the location sounds great and your tree is probably fine...

HG

matthew.e.stevens
Newly Registered

I took your reply to heart and am giving it plenty of water to see what happens. My main concern now is the cooler weather, we had a little frost last night, should I limit my watering to late morning once it warms up? I'd hate for a freeze to ruin anything we've done thus far.

matthew.e.stevens
Newly Registered

I forgot....I'm relatively new to gardening and landscaping and we're also looking for suggestions to "hide" that weerwell. We were thinking of some low ground cover or 2'-3' shrubs to conceal the "eyesore" in our yard.....suggestions anyone?

frogesque

matthew.e.stevens wrote:I forgot....I'm relatively new to gardening and landscaping and we're also looking for suggestions to "hide" that weerwell. We were thinking of some low ground cover or 2'-3' shrubs to conceal the "eyesore" in our yard.....suggestions anyone?
Any chance of some photos? It would help visualise your problem with the weerwell and what can be done with it. Short term you can always hide it with potted patio plants but they do need cared for and watering.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Pictures would be good; Sun? Shade? Sandy? Wet? Evergreen? FLowering?

HG

matthew.e.stevens
Newly Registered

Sorry, I haven't gotten a chance to get any pictures yet. Work has brought me in before sunup and brought me home after sunset. I'll try to get some pictures this weekend and post them. As for our area, we get sunshine throughout the morning and part shade in the evening. Most of the day, the sun shines on the whole back yard though. I believe the soil will stay moist for the most part, as it is located at the end of our drainage near the weerwell. I hope to post pictures for you and look forward to any and all suggestions!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

We'll be here...

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”