Lil_Mermaid_Girl
Newly Registered

How to train a Burford Holly to small tree? please help

I have a few Burford Hollies that I am going to plant soon. They are in containers and are about 1 foot tall at the moment. They are going to be planted next to a chain link fence. I want them to eventually grow into the tree form. I'll give a link so you can see what I mean better: https://www.cooper-paynetreefarms.com/Holly.html As you can see one of the Burford Holly pictures on that link is a multi trunked tree form which I like, and the other is I guess one that has grown normal with pruning though?

What are the steps I would need to do to get the tree form? I really have no idea.
How far apart should I plant them so the tops of the trees touch somewhat at the top like this: https://www.pssc.ttu.edu/techhort/PLANTID/burford/brfrdhll.htm , and how far away from the fence should they be planted? I want them to be close to the fence, but not go through the fence. Also, when is the first time I should prune them, how much, and how often after the first time to get the tree form?

And just in case, looking back at the first link and the Burford that is not tree form, how would I get that shape? Again, how far apart would they need to be planted near eachother, and how close to the fence, and how often and when should the pruning be done?

Any help is greatly appreciated. I'd like to get them planted but I want to make sure it gets done right and I know how to do the pruning beforehand so I don't ruin anything later.

bullthistle
Greener Thumb

First in order to obtain a clump you've got to purchase one that has multiple stems. If they are singles the only way to get multiple stems is to cut back the plant in the hopes new shoots crop up. Planting 8-10' apart and 6' from the fence should give them plenty of room to grow into each other so make certain you amend the soil so it is friable and add some bone meal and fertilize yearly. If you have multiple stems trim off the bottom third so the growth appears at the top and prune the suckers yearly. I planted burford along my property line and in 10 years they grew to 8-10' but I didn't prune them to be trees but I am in NC.

Lil_Mermaid_Girl
Newly Registered

Thank you very much for your help :D

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”