Juju
Newly Registered

Fertilizing sagos

I live in the panhandle of Florida and my husband has just transplanted some sagos, and he was interested in finding out when to fertilize them. :D

Thanks
Judy

Grey
Greener Thumb

Spring and late summer, so now is a good time. They really do not need a lot of fertilizer to be happy.

Sagos are a little like cacti - water when almost dry. A lot of people accidentally overwater them.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Fertilizing in fall is not a great idea; it pushes new growth before the plant can harden off (not as much of an issue for you) and while the roots aren't really capable of intaking nutrition (waste of fertilizer that, if you are using chemical fertilizer (non-organic), just dissolves and runs into streams and rivers, eventually into the ocean, where, in Florida anyway, it has been shown to be killing corals by increasing algal blooms on the reefs. Using compost or organic fertilizer is a much better deal for you, the plant, and the environment...(the lower assays won't push growth, and the carbon based compost stays put until the plant needs it, not running into the ocean) :D

Scott

Grey
Greener Thumb

Since he is in FL, and I did feed things in Fall in FL, that's why I said now is a good time. Palms don't harden off, they just stay green and happy in all that hot, humid weather!

We are a compost/organic happy bunch here - and I fully agree with Scott about fertilizers, especially in FL. It all just runs down into the aquifer, and parts of FL, believe it or not, have trouble getting decent water anymore (St. Petersburg, for example).

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, the process that Scott and Gry are talking about is called EUTROPHICATION and it is a huge problem both in Florida and from the Mississippi.

Anyway, I think that the original question was about Sages? If so, the only fertilizer I've ever given my sage plants is manure and leaf mold. The plants grow like crazy and give me lots of good stuff to eat.

Though, I'm starting to think that Sages might be a common name for some other type of plant.

Grey
Greener Thumb

I think the OP meant Sago Palms. They are expensive, beautiful plants, very green and easy to care for.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Ah, but we are talking about that dinosaur of houseplants (they actually do have fossil records of this plant from back then), Sago palms (although that is a misnomer as they are really cycads and not palms at all)...

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

In Florida, Sagos grow outdoors just fine too. ;) Not a houseplant there!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

True, true...I tend to forget that not everywhere has a winter...

Grey
Greener Thumb

This will be my first, Scott. 29 years of summer, summer, summer and more summer - I am enjoying seasons (so far)!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not sure I could do without; Lil' Frer moved to S.F. a decade back and says he still misses it some...(he's obvviously glossed over the harsh memories...)

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

Shouldn't be too harsh here. Our averages look pretty sweet, if you ask me. :)

https://www.weather.com/activities/homeandgarden/garden/weather/climo-monthly-graph.html?locid=30747&from=36hr_bottomnav_garden

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Cushy... 8)

Grey
Greener Thumb

Jealous?
CT gets pretty darn cold... lol

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Although, don't forget, we can't count on past weather patterns as much, they seem to be a-changin'! :wink:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

This year our average seems to be more like September. Our highs are still hitting 85. I came inside because I wanted to cool off!

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

So just keep up the bragging!! There are times I envy people who have a milder climate and can grow things I can't and all year round, but then, I also enjoy the total break that winter gives me as well, like it gives me permission to focus on something else for a couple of months! :lol:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

That last one was not bragging. It was complaining, because I have had my fill of summer and want some nice, cool fall weather. Why on earth did I buy all those sweaters for if not to enjoy them?

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Wow, you guys are hilarious. :lol:

Thanks for the clarification Grey :wink:

Grey
Greener Thumb

Anytime, sweetie.

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Grey, don't worry, you'll get a chance to wear those sweaters soon enough! Pretty soon you'll be tired of them!!! :wink:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

I dunno.... :lol:
I really do not like shorts... I love jeans, pants, and long sleeves. There's something cozy about wearing a sweater. I wear 'em even when it's barely cool enough to warrant one. Like the big grey wraparound I've got on now. Sorta goes with the hot chai tea and pumpkin bread for breakfast, you know?

And now this thread has wandered far, far, far from fertilizing Sago Palms.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Even I cannot sanction this one. WAY off base... :P

HG

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”