opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oak Trees Allelopathic?

Is anyone aware of oak leaves containing chemicals that inhibit the growth of other plants?

I'm particularly interested in Quercus garryana the Garry Oak.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

oaks give off a chemical substance called coumarin that discourages herbs and grasses

Oaks are indeed Allelopathic.

Any other information from other's is welcome.

(I have access to a vast quantity of Quercus garryana leaves to add to my leaf mold pile but, I'm a little leary)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hey Opa! There are many plants that fall under the category of Allelopathic, and yes, Quercus Garryana, is one of them. However, being allelopathic does not mean that they are dangerous to all other plants, but only a few specific ones. Quercus Garryana does contain coumarins that effect various species of herbs and grasses.
Another example is Black Walnut - it isn't bad for all plants either. Forsythia, beans and carrots, to name a few grow quite well near Black Walnut trees.
Even many cover crops such as winter rye are allelopathic to other plants.
So Opa, I guess it depends on where you plan to use your leaf mould in the future, and whether there will be any plants put there that will be affected by the coumarins in the oak leaves!!
Doesn't help much does it? Sorry but there doesn't seem to be a straight answer :roll:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

And is the delivery system in the leaves? Some deliver like that (Acer platanoides comes from leaves, roots, EVERYWHERE) some more from roots (Black Walnut is that way, if memory serves). Might be the broken down leaves are o.k...

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

If I remember correctly, it does remain in the leaves, but don't quote me on that! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Even if we chop them up and compost them? And is it just a pre-emergent or will it kill already established plants? A little pre-emergent in my compost would be welcome...no oaks (yet!), but I want a Q. bicolor to feed my birds and squirrels...

Scott

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

I have copied a couple of sections from my books regarding this. From these statements, I would think that as long as you didn't have too many leaves in your compost, things should be okay. And yes, Scott, it appears that in high quantities, they are pre-emergent, as well as killing existing plants.
I guess it's your own judgement call on which way you want to go! Hope it helps. :wink:
VAL

"Volatilization. Allelopathic trees release a chemical in a gas form through small openings in their leaves. Other plants absorb the toxic chemical and die.

Leaching. All plants lose leaves. Some plants store protective chemicals in the leaves they drop. When the leaves fall to the ground, they decompose and give off chemicals that protect the plant. Fall foliage tends to release more potent allelochemicals than fresh, spring foliage. Water-soluble phytotoxins may be leached from roots or aboveground plant parts or they may be actively exuded from living roots."

"It appears that there may be an allelopathic effect on some seedlings when grown in undiluted eucalyptus, black walnut or live oak composts. With increased dilutions, the effects become less severe, suggesting that under natural conditions- where the dilution factor would be far greater than 25 percent-there would be little or no damage from these
leaves. "

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Yes, given that coumarin's detur the growth of grasses, and given that corn is a grass; I'll probably ere on the side of caution with the oak leaves. I do have a few of them in my sheet mulch but, I don't think I'll add any abundance of them to my leaf mold pile.

Grey
Greener Thumb

You know, I used oak leaves for years as mulch in my decorative beds. They were the little live oak leaves. Nothing ever died, and every year I'd pile them on 6" thick. I STILL got some weeds, even through all that.

Now for a hypothetical: which is worse to use as mulch: oak leaves or that decorative red bark they sell in stores?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Well, oak leaves are only supposed to be harmful to herbs and grasses, so that's probably why they were fine in your flower garden Grey.
And don't even go there with the red bark!!! :roll:
VAL

Grey
Greener Thumb

Oh I HAD to bring up the red bark, Val! :lol:

So many people don't know how bad it is for your plants - so I brought it up as a public service reminder from your friendly Helpful Gardener.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Not...the ...RED BARK!! :evil:

I'd stop gardening first... :x

HG

Grey
Greener Thumb

lol @ Scott.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Oh my goodness, don't even start on the red bark again. :roll:

:wink: :wink: :wink:

Yes, given that I do tend to grow some herbs in the garden as companion plants, I think that I won't use the oak leaves. At least, not that many of them.

It's interesting that Coumarin has negative effects on the growth of grasses because in local Garry Oak Meadows, that is what is there: Garry Oaks and Grasses (and the associated wild flowers). I guess that grasses that have evolved to grow in the meadows are somehow immune to Coumarin.

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”