Venomous_1
Cool Member

Elephant Ear ?

Ok. I love elephant ears so I bought some of those bulbs from a big box store. They only come with a little tag that says the usual stuff on planting and care. However, the tag and a search on the internet does not say which end to plant up/down? Does it matter? And how do you tell?

Thanks...Richard in TN :?

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

With most bulbs it is obvious, but with some it is more difficult to tell. Mine had what looked like small protrusions on the side that pointed the direction for up. Usually the top has a dormant spike, or there are side bumps, that will produce shoots. For me those gave the best clue to proper orientation. The top will generally be a bit more pointed, the base a little flatter. Maybe if looking closely some remains of root hairs may be seen around a ring kind of area on the bottom. As am calling this from memory, the info could be a bit suspect.

Sorry I can't be of more help on this one. Perhaps and elephant ear expert will chime in.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Here is a link to an image of an Elephant Ear bulb being planted. I found it on Flikr, using Google. I hope it helps you. :)

[url=https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://farm1.static.flickr.com/11/12255832_068fdd7b32.jpg%3Fv%3D0&imgrefurl=https://flickr.com/photos/56641521%40N00/12255832/&usg=__IW7Vsd6dEKUpi1PEaOQ8-UNpn7A=&h=500&w=474&sz=81&hl=en&start=4&tbnid=trORvsI1kAB0KM:&tbnh=130&tbnw=123&prev=/images%3Fq%3DElephant%2BEar%2Bbulbs%26gbv%3D2%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DG]Link[/url].

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Perfect image, at least matches my memory of the bulb and those little protrusions on the sides that roughly seem to point upward.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Venomous_1
Cool Member

Ahhh. Thanks for that image. It is really tough to tell on those elephant ears. Both ends are very similar, at least the ones I purchased. However, one end was just a little flatter and the other a very small point. I'm putting them in the ground next week or week after, should be warm enough by then, we'll see what happens.

BTW, any idea how long elephant ears usually take to emerge. Just want to know so in case they aren't coming up I can dig in and see if indeed I planted them wrong.

Richard in TN

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Mine were pretty slow to come up last year, don't remember exactly but just remember wondering why they were so slow to emerge. If you have concern, one thing that you could do is to just place the bulbs in some dry peat moss and wait on new growth to emerge, and then plant the bulbs. That shouldn't hurt the bulbs or even slow them down IMO.
Alex

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”