Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Any suggestions for small evergreen shrubs I could plant?

There is a 9' long by 5' wide area in front of my front porch. It's on the west side of my house, but it gets only about 3 or 4 hours of direct sun each day, because of shade from trees. Minimum height should be at least 18", and maximum height around 4 to 5 feet. I'm getting older and need shrubs that won't require constant pruning to keep them within bounds. To the left of the area in question is a narrow path that leads to my backyard gate, and to the right is the sidewalk that leads up to the front porch step. The area is somewhat wet in the winter, but it drains rapidly because the front yard is a gentle slope down to the street.

I suppose I could plant dwarf rhodies, but rhodies are so overdone around here. I was hoping to find something a little different. My friends and I spend a lot of time on the porch during the spring and summer, so if the shrubs bore scented flowers, it would be a definite asset.

I'm in Sunset zone 6, but my property seems to be warmer than much of the area around me. (My gardening friends laugh and call my yard the "banana belt." :lol: )

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

applestar
Mod

How about dwarf forms of native shrubs?
I don't really know what's native in Oregon but here are a few ideas from *my* wishlist -- some are evergreen, some are not:

Myrica gale - sweet bay, likes more wet areas than northern bay (6ft)
dwf Clethra - summer sweet
dwf Winterberry
dwf Inkberry
dwf Mountain laurel
dwf juneberry (the variety I have is Regent)
Ostrich fern (you can eat the shoots)
Low bush blueberries (you won't get a whole lot of berries with limited sun, but you'll still get some)
Wintergreen
Fragaria virginiana (wild strawberries)

I didn't group them that way, but some prefers lower pH than others.
Oh wait! It's not on MY list, but how about Oregon grape?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Thank you for the suggestions! I'll definitely check them out!

No Mountain Laurel, I'm afraid. They are very pretty plants, but I'm allergic to the pollen. :(

Solveig
Cool Member

Euonymus fortunei var. radicans, especially the cultivars 'Emerald 'n Gaeity' and 'Emerald 'n Gold' with variegated leaves, are my absolute favourites among evergreen shrubs. They are quite low, though.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

Solveig wrote:Euonymus fortunei var. radicans, especially the cultivars 'Emerald 'n Gaeity' and 'Emerald 'n Gold' with variegated leaves, are my absolute favourites among evergreen shrubs. They are quite low, though.
Thank you! I'll check that out, too. The shrubs don't need to be really tall, as the porch is only about a foot above ground level and I want to be able to see out over them. The folks in my neighborhood often stroll in the evening ... walking dogs, etc. ... and we usually wave and greet each other. It's a friendly place. :)

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”