Linny
Cool Member

Bamboo Question

After much consideration I finally decided to plant a clump of bamboo given to me by a friend. It is supposed to be the "clumping" variety and not the "running" variety although I am aware that it will spread considerably. I would like to know if I can burn the dead canes and leaves so it looks nicer when the new starts to grow. My friend just leaves the old dead stuff, but I think it looks ugly that way. If I soaked the ground good before burning, I don't think the fire would harm the root system. I was thinking it would just burn the old dry dead stuff and go out. Am I way off base? I have been known to do things that I should have known better than :oops:

Thanks,

Linny

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

I can't give you a definite answer, but can tell you what would seem reasonable to me. First a controlled fire like you are considering does not burn extremely hot, nor does is accumulate any heat, as the energy dissipates up and away very quickly. The mass is not considerable, so it won't be burning for very long as well. Bamboo is just a giant grass, and grass fields are often burned prior to the new season's growth. People often burn the tops of their pampas grass back. So my feeling would be to go for it. On the other hand, I'm a google addict, and without looking, I bet there is a precise article related to burning bamboo before the new season's growth.

Linny
Cool Member

WOW! Thanks for your prompt response.

What sounds reasonable to you also sounds reasonable to me. So here I go, waterhose and lighter in hand!

What the heck, if it turns out bad, I can always get my friend to chop me out another clump right? If it turns out good, I will always have you to thank, and will never have an ugly patch of Bamboo! Thank you again Alex.

Linny

segubs
Newly Registered

Linny

Hi I live in Porter Texas, we have 27 variietys growing on the property the Houston Bamboo Society cuts and clean up the bamboo.

This may Help: https://www.texasbamboosociety.net/

Cherrio
Ssgubs

Return to “Trees, Shrubs, and Hedges”